On the way to Ferry

Donating anything brings new life.

I mean anything.


Holding tight to things no longer used clogs the system of giving.

Sunday, March 6, 2016, I did a routine scroll on my facebook newsfeed. This normally consists of two scrolls. Long enough seeing what others are doing. Since before Christmas, I pledged not to overspend my time on Facebook.

The first post I came upon that afternoon stopped me in my tracks. No need continue scrolling. A mother posted in a closed group, Tessa Fibrolamellar Journey, "the call came". For the past two years the mother, Dawn, posted updates in regards to her daughter on the liver transplant list. The family lives in Vancouver, Canada.

Canada to me is exciting enough!


Yea, that's exciting.

Tessa's journey consisted of battling liver cancer, Fibrolamellar. The same type I battled 16 years ago. Tessa is a teen. Age 15. Her mother and I met in the closed group, Fibrolamellar of the World Unite, a couple years ago. One year, I drummed up individual blog post bringing awareness for the month of October. For "our" type of liver cancer. Dawn happily jumped on board sharing her daughter, Tessa's, story with me. Although, I've not had direct in-person contact with Dawn and her daughter, they were eager to share her story. That is one thing about the Fibro family. We stick together.

You can see the post from October 2014 HERE.

"THE CALL CAME. On our way to ferry!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My eyes bolted over to the comments. Reading everyone's comments was beautiful. Joyful. Encouraging. Praising. As I continued reading confirmation came. Several comments down someone ask if it was for a transplant. Dawn replied, "yes."

The most exciting three letters.


Quickly, I screenshot the original post. When I posted the picture on my Instagram and Facebook page words of celebration indicated the powerful moment for this family. I even shared Tessa's story with each of my family members. Prayers. Stories like Tessa's you know is all God. His timing is perfect.

From there it was hours before the next update came.

At midnight, she was rolled to the E.R.

The next morning, I checked for an update. Things went as planned. Hours progress in recovery. Then ICU. The transplant was done. Just like that! Done.

Until, late Monday afternoon, Tessa's mother urgently updated. She was rushed back to the E.R. Test results showed the new liver wasn't functioning properly. Her blood was clotting. Her body was rejecting the new liver.  My heart began racing. As I am sure her mother's was. Being in the Fibrolamellar group for nearly 5 years now, I've seen every twisting story. Prayers relaxed me to a state of calmness.

The next time an update came in Dawn basically stated Tessa was placed on top national priority for a new (second) liver. Until then she was in a coma. Life support would carry her until a new liver was found. By midnight the update was a new liver transplant was underway. Already that fast, a new liver.

The next midnight Tessa was heading in the right direction. Early test, blood work, and a sonogram indicated this liver was a good match. The breathing tube came out. Bath in bed. Tessa even asked for her mascara. Afternoon, PT had her walking. WALKING.

Sister was on the road to recovery. Such a brave girl. She was soon moved out of ICU. A big plus.

I don't know if you've ever been in ICU personally. I have. It's the loneliest place a person can be. Her mother even stated nights in ICU were hard on Tessa. She was anxious at night.

This past week, 15 days into her new liver, Tessa was discharged from the hospital.

Tessa and her mother will stay in a YANA apartment while she visits the hospital weekly for regular check-ups.

Tessa story is so inspiring. She kicked liver cancer to the curb.
(Update: since starting the writing process of this blog post Tessa's back in the hospital. She had a great Easter weekend with family. Then became ill. A few minor problems are being worked through. She is a fighter. This goes to show having a transplant isn't an easy task at all making her story even more encouraging. Here's the message I left for her: Please tell her she is a true hero. Brave. Strong. Courageous. Young. Lady. Who will overcome each step of this to tell the world what she has endured and lives will be changed one by one by her strength. She is an amazing trooper. My heart goes out to her. Lifting her up in the most encouraging way. Cheering. My. Tessa. On!!!!! #mighty #healer #strong #powerful)

Please pray with me as her and her family wait patiently as her body adjust to her new liver.

In honor of her, I'd like to ask everyone to be an organ donor. It's easy. Save a life.

Not sure what to do. Watch this video. Click here.

Donate today! 


  1. Tessa's mom shared your "Life After Cancer" post this morning and so I discovered your blog and your facebook page. There are so many things I'd like to share with you, but I, too, have pledged to spend less time at my laptop. So, for now, will just say the two most important things: 1. I'm so HAPPY that you survived! 2. Though I doubt Tessa knows me at all, I attended a celebration of life for one of her friends, and Tessa spoke so very bravely that day, all the while with her dear friend (a teen-age cancer survivor) holding her hand. You write so well and are living such a beautiful life! I hope to drop in regularly. Thank you!

  2. Mrs. Carol, your words mean so much. I've prayed the Lord would send people, like you, who are touched by my words, my life, and my story. It is He who I give glory to for carrying me this far. Also, He has provided the words for me to share. I hope you have a wonderful day. You stop in anytime. Again, thank you.